Important information for travellers to the USA

Please take note of this information. You cannot travel to the USA without a valid visa.

Travel regulations: USA Visa Waiver Program

This program lets citizens of certain nations travel to the USA without a visa for a maximum of 90 days. Refer to this website to see which countries participate in this program:

In addition, your passport must comply with the following conditions:

  • Issued prior to 26.10.2005; passport must contain a machine-readable zone
  • Issued between 26.10.2005 and 25.10.2006: passport must contain a machine-readable zone and a digital passport photo
  • Issued after 26.10.2006: passport must be an “e-passport”, i.e. it contains a chip with your biographical and biometrical data, including a digital passport photo

You need a visa if

  1. your passport does not fulfil these conditions
  2. you do not come from a VWP country

Compulsory provision of your passport and address details (ESTA - Electronic System Travel Authorization data)

Before departing for the USA, airlines are obliged to forward specific details about their passengers to the US authorities. The details must be entered on the Internet at the latest 72 hours before travelling.

The electronic system travel authorization, generally known as “ESTA”, is an online application system developed by the US government for checking travellers before they travel to the USA. Applications are online only and a fee applies (USD 16.00). Only citizens of the 36 countries which do not require a visa can travel to the USA with ESTA. Citizens from countries requiring a visa must apply for a standard US visa.

The following countries are covered by the no-visa program: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Great Britain.

Direct to ESTA website